Wednesday, February 20, 2008

"...the love of which is the route of all evil"

Money.

American life revolves around it. More than just American life, anyone in a developed country lives for money. It's the reason for existing, for waking up each morning and going to a shitty job, for going to college to get a less shitty job. It is the basic human necessity.

And everybody wants more. Be honest, you wish you had a little extra cash in your pocket every now and then. I know I do all the time. That doesn't make me greedy. It makes me human. There's a fine line between wanting to better yourself and being greedy. It's all related to why we want money and what we'd do with it.

Greed is wanting more than you need, wanting more than anyone else. You don't share, you horde. You buy things you don't need. You surround yourself with labels and designers and brand names because you think it gives you some status in society. Meanwhile, no one wants to talk to you because you look down on anyone that isn't rich like you.

I don't want that. I don't want "things." I could care less who made my jeans, as long as they fit me. Don't get me wrong, having nice things is nice, but be reasonable. You can find a handbag that looks just as nice at target. I don't need a solid gold toilet. I want more money so I can experience more in life; enrich it with new experiences and relationships, not new "things" to clog my already crowded apartment. I want to travel, I want to go see more shows, and I want to explore new hobbies like skiing and biking and silk-screening. Wealth isn't defined by what you have, but what you do. And I want to share all these new experience with friends.

I kind of lost where I was going with this, but point is, it's ok to desire more money. It's the basis that is needed to better ones life in this new world. Sure you can go live on a mountain and obtain spiritual nirvana by meditating with chipmunks. And I'm sure your life will be just as fulfilling, but that's not for everybody. I like the life I'm living. It just costs money to live it.

1 comment:

Meredith said...

I always agree with everything you say. I saw plans last night of a house with 11 bathrooms, 7 bedrooms, multiple living rooms. What do you need it for, seriously. Yeah, I'd love to have a big house some day but not ridiculous like that.
I would love to use money to travel and do things that I have always wanted to.