Monday, February 25, 2008

Arts and Crafts

So I went biking with my friend on Saturday and I realized that I needed two things. Well, technically, I only need one thing: gloves. However, I haven't gotten a new bag of any type for some time now and a I figured it'd be a good idea to upgrade. There's only one problem. For some reason, a good bag costs over $100...easily. Which is rediculous. Especially considering half the hipster douche bags using them can't afford a shower and a shave. How the hell do they get these nice bags? So, I started doing some internet research. There had to be a company out there that makes great bags on the cheap. But before I even looked at a retailer or designer, I found this interesting podcast on youtube on how to make your own messenger bag, for free! (relatively speaking, of course).

So now I'm on a mission. Some of my friends offer their support for my project, while some (inlcuding the one I went riding with on saturday) are skeptical. All the same, it's pretty much free, so...why not? Besides, it'll give me something to do in Newport while I'm home for spring break.
So today, I've been bounding the interweb trying to find ideas, accessories, tips, patterns, etc. I've come across some cool sites. I started printing out patterns (as well as making some of my own) and assembling little paper prototypes. They are all good designs, but not exactly what I'm looking for. I figure, if I'm makin it for me, why not make it exactly that I want? Right? Right.
The next step is to examine my skeptical friends bags and take some measurements. Then I think I should be able to bang out a desing that works really well.
After that, I'll start making prototypes out of fabric. On that note, if anyone has any fabric to spare, an old t-shirt or something, shoot me an email. I'd love it.
In the meantime, I'll leave you with some photos of my prototypes. Let me know what you think!

This one is wide opening bag with a rectangular profile. I like that because the other one has a very narrow opening since the sides are triangular. I think I'm going to shoot for something in the middle of these two.

Here is the profile of the rectangle side. Give the bag overall more room inside.

This is the triangle side. You'll see the classic messenger bag desgign. I just don't like how narrow the opening is.

And the side view:







1 comment:

Unknown said...

We should have an Arts and Crafts table in the apartment!

Just kidding. That's a bit much.

BUT I think your bag is going to look cool.